View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 4 (January 4, 2020 – 004)

The 1962 Orioles Salada-Junket shield with coins. The coins were available in Salada Tea and Junket Dessert products. I think in order to get the plastic shields you had to send away for them and once received you could display your team’s coins within the shield. Pretty neat item.

1962 Orioles Salada shield with coins included.

Attachment 379492

1962 Salada coin #40

Attachment 379494
Mark,

Nice looking shield. They are hard to find in nice shape. Mine has a small crack along one corner.

The 1962 Salada set is very interesting. It was originally issued as 180 coins (1-180) and the backs are different from the 200 coin back in your scan. With the NL expansion in 1962, Salada added coins of the new teams and added/subtracted some players from other teams (181-221). Additionally, a bunch of variations were created because of trades, etc. I have found the 180 backs much harder to find.

What does this all mean for Orioles collectors. The original 180 set has 10 coins per team. The Orioles set includes Steve Barber (P), Jim Busby(OF), Ron Hansen (SS) and Marv Breeding (2B). The second printing replaced these coins with Russ Snyder (OF), Chuck Estrada (P), and Marv Breeding (SS). Johnny Temple (2B) was a Cleveland Indian in the original set and added as an Oriole for the second printing. Gentile, B.Robinson, Triandos, Pappas, Williams and Brandt were issued with both printings. Mark's shield has coins from the second printing. Two of the holy grails for Salada collectors are also Orioles, the Dick Williams (Name on right side) and the Jackie Brandt (Orioles instead of the common Oriole version).

One common problem with 1962 Salada coins is the ease in switching the paper insert from one coin to another. All of the Orioles were issued in orange, so any Oriole in another color has been swapped out.

There is also a Canadian version of coins issued by Shirriff Potato Chips. I don't have access to my coins currently. Maybe someone can post a back for everyone to see. The Orioles in the Shirriff set are the same as the second printing. So if you see a Steve Barber or Jim Busby Shirriff coin listed, it was swapped out. They were not issued with the Shirriff set.

Hope I haven't been too long winded, but this is a fascinating set for any type collector.