View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 01:32 PM

Default Theory About 1963 Fleer FB

In the process of upgrading both versions of 1963 Fleer #64 Bob Dougherty, I have come to this conclusion:

I know that the set was printed in one sheet, with # 1 down to #8, #9 down to #16, etc., up to #88. There was also a sheet that, for some reason, used #5 down to #8 and #1 down to #4. There was no red stripe on the bottom most card, meaning every card divisible by 4 has both a red stripe version and a no stripe version.

I had decided to replace both of these back-stained cards and had no problem finding a no stripe version. In checking on the card WITH a red stripe, I can find only one or two with lots of no stripes available.

My theory therefore is that they likely removed both Dougherty and Long in order to insert the checklist later in the run, using the second cited sheet with Dougherty in the fourth spot down and with the red stripe as a result being removed. Thus there is a shortage of the #64 WITH the stripe. I believe that the other version is not really a big SP after all since it likely stayed in the run from the beginning.

I am not expecting everyone to follow this, but this is what I am seeing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963 #64 Dougherty RV.jpg (79.4 KB, 341 views)