View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 09:46 AM

Default 1962 Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set

Good morning. Happy Super Bowl Sunday. Should be an exciting game. Speaking of exciting, as promised, the different items and quantity of items in 1962 should not disappoint. There are technically 16 items in the 1962 slot of the PSA Master for Brooks Robinson. I will show 17 and explain later. 1962 has numerous 'different' entries. Moving top to bottom, we begin with the Topps Bucks. The one here is tied for the highest graded. You can find these out there but centering is an issue. I think I have several ungraded. This one is nice but a little expensive at this high grade. The 1962 Topps Stamps are a lot of fun. There are 4 slots for the Stamps. The four stamp with Brooks and 3 of his pals is the highest graded. This one is tough to find at this grade and can be expensive. There are 3 two player stamps of Brooks. The Duke Snider one is my favorite. There are two graded higher. The one with Baldschun is the highest graded. This was a nice find. The one with Moon is not part of the Master. Can't explain why. Tried to add but I think it has something to do with the other two player panels. The last one is the single of Brooks. This is tied as the highest graded. I was looking at the prices for these stamps and...well, email me if interested. Next, you see the two Post Cereal cards. One is the US version and the other is the Canadian version. You can see the differences between the two cards (less of a profile in the US version, hands are different, different card numbers, different colored letters, and of course the Canadian version has French wording). The grades here are not that high but surprisingly there are only 3 higher graded Canadian cards and 5 graded higher in the US version. I believe I added the Canadian card to the set. It is really hard to find nice Canadian cards; too often the border line is not cut so it is visible. I submitted a 1962 Brooks panel to PSA for grading and should have it back soon so I can add that to the master. They are affordable but hard to find. Below the Post cards, you will find the 3 Topps and one Venezulean card of Brooks. The regular 1962 Topps Brooks is graded the highest with 6 others. I won this through an auction and just last night, the auction house sent me an offer for $5,500. Of course, I declined. The All Star and Team cards are nice but nothing special in terms of grade. I looked at upgrading both but I think the price jumps considerably, if you can find them at the PSA 9. The 1962 'Vene' is tied for highest graded. These are so hard to find nice. This one is very expensive and I would never sell or trade. When folks ask me about this one, they are shocked at how nice it is. The three Jay Pubs are great pictures of Brooks. I especially like the one with the 'B' on his hat. Although only graded as 'Excellent' it is highest graded. The other two poses are plentiful and affordable. Finally, the two coins are very nice but not the highest graded despite being PSA 9 Mints. The Salada Junket Coins were offered in Tea and Pudding mix. There are 265 different coins. The Canadian coin or Sharriff Coins has fewer players and were offered in Shirriff Potato Chips. Did anyone ever pull one from from bag of chips? The Salada and Sharriff coins are similar except for the printing on the reverse of the coin and scarcities of the coins. I hope my comments do not sound like I am bragging or too focused on cost. I am trying to provide perspective on the scarcity of the item in the condition it is in. Many do not like "grading" so I get that, too. I look forward to the comments this week on other items I do not have above such as the team issued items. Hope you enjoyed this week's update. Next week is exciting as we begin to see Brooks appear on the Bazooka boxes. Have a great week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962.jpg (78.0 KB, 280 views)