View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 02:51 PM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1964

Good afternoon! The Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set has a lot of different items in 1964. In total, there are 18 items. Going from top left to right...starting out you have the two Topps coins from 1964. The Blue Coin (#125 is tied for highest graded) at PSA 9. This is the All Star Coin (each league had 22). I have a proof and one in its sealed bag but they would not grade them. The #18 coin is harder to find in a higher grade, at least in my experience. There are 120 different coins. I continue to look for a PSA 9 or 10. Next, you have the two Rawlings Premium Photos. The one with the glove at his chest or Bird's Head Cap is not graded very high but it is tied for highest graded. This example is very hard to find. I have two others ungraded with Brooks' signature. The other Rawlings Premium Photo is readily available but this happens to be the highest graded at PSA 6. I recently added the entire 1964 Rawlings Premium Photos to the PSA Master. I am missing 3 (Mantle Black T Shirt, Bill White and Ken Boyer Mets). The photo with the full bird / glove on knee is the same photo found on the 1964 Glove Box Hand Cut. The 4 player panel is very rare. This is the highest graded at PSA 2. The hand cut Brooks card is also very rare but not as high graded. Both are very expensive. I have all 8 hand cut cards on the PSA Master for the Big 8 Box Set. I am looking for a complete box. My set is 2nd on the Registry. Always looking to upgrade if anyone has any extra. On the far right, you see the #3 Bazooka Stamp Panel with Brooks. This panel is hard to find at this grade. The single Brooks stamp is not as hard to find but both are pretty expensive. Bazooka also offered Brooks on a box in 1964. This particular box was very hard to find and I purchased it with the 10 stamps glued on the other side. I tried to get PSA to grade it with the stamps but they would not. I spent several hours with a blow dryer, tweezers and my finger nail removing the stamps. Because of some paper loss, they graded it as a PSA 2, but it is the 2nd highest graded (total graded is 2). This box is very expensive. The Bazooka panel has a mark on the back. I have been looking for a replacement panel but no luck. The hand cut bazooka card is graded as a PSA 9 with 3 peers; there is a PSA 10. This one is pretty expensive. The middle row you will see the 1964 Wheaties Panel with Hank Aaron. This panel is in excellent shape but was graded as a PSA 2. I had a PSA 1.5 but traded it to a Wheaties collector. The single Wheaties stamp is graded as a PSA 9; there are four PSA 10s. Both of these are pretty expensive. I enjoy the Wheaties set. The 1964 Giants set is one of my favorites. This set is still very affordable. This card (far right) is a PSA 9. There are 12 PSA 10s out there; I am always looking for a "10!" At the bottom left, you see the 1964 Topps Regular Card and its contemporary from the Venezuela issue. The regular card here is a PSA 9, which is pretty expensive but it has 69 peers. There are four PSA 10s. The 1964 Topps Orioles Team Card is nothing special but a higher graded version is surprisingly expensive. The Venezuela card is pretty hard to find with a clean "black" back. I have an extra one or two but not as nice. The final card is one of my favorites...the 1964 Topps Stand-Up. This example is the highest one I have seen (PSA 8.5) graded but there are 11 graded higher. There is a PSA 8 on Ebay for a crazy amount of money. 1964 was a break-out year for Brooks as this is the year he won the MVP. He finally started to receive a lot of national attention, especially with collectibles. Hope you enjoyed this week's Brooks Master update. See you next week with 1965, where Brooks appears for the first time on O-Pee-Chee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Brooks Robinson PSA Master.jpg (79.3 KB, 208 views)