View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 10:59 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickalaska View Post
Steve,

I like the composition of your Speaker card - too bad that's not Cy Young or Ed Cicotte in the background. I wonder why your Plank card has that big bottom border - compared to the cut of other cards? Also interesting how the Speaker card has those decorative dots just to the left of the name - I don't believe any of the other cards have that. Would be interesting to know more about the 796 set - I think the set is a real diamond in the rough.
So my question on the background, what in the world in that player holding behind his back? Its white and looks like he is purposely hiding behind him, looks odd to me?

No idea on the symbol, only card in the set that has it. And the Plank border, again, the only card in the set that has it. It looks like the image was cropped too short and they just said screw it.

I posted this on the 805 thread last night, but the 796s look like a "rough" draft of sorts for the 805s. The company moved in 1910 and found themselves next to the photo business. The 796s have so many fonts including multiples within the same card, names on the top and bottom, weird symbol in front of Tris, weird border on Plank and then that all was cleaned up on the 805s and the NC Co. was added as well. The only non-uniformity on the 805s is the names, having some players with front and last but most with just last. 805s didnt correct the spelling of Honas either for some reason.

Plus the postmark on a 796 in 1910 while 805 is 1911...even though there is just 4 of them. IDK, 796s just seem like a rushed rough draft of what the 805s became with the nice border applied and uniformity, wonder why they blurred out some of the backgrounds though?