View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Talking

I think you are sort of on the right path if you decide to sell.

British cards were collected right from the start, and over there are usually done in full sets, and in nice condition. Some of the less common ones are different, but that's their approach.

Big lots of US stuff here almost always equals a decent discount.

I've only sold a few things here and there, with a couple sales that were big for me but pretty small other wise.
Sold a 48 Bowman set to help fund a ski trip, Most cards were really pretty bad, with a handful of nice ones. I figured I could just build another similar set, with more nicer cards..... I sold it in 1985, and only have maybe 1/4 of the set. I kind of miss the old set.
Sold a couple nice cards here over the years, and miss them. But I know the collectors that have them really like them, so it's ok.... ish…
When our first kid was on the way I offloaded a bunch of extras and other stuff that I'd been doing flea markets with. Gave them to a local auction that took a hefty cut, but they did all the work. All I had to do was point to boxes in storage and say "that one" Plus the stuff in the trunk. (They even took some junk. "Ok, this box is all better cards, but if you want it you have to take these three boxes of junk" "Geez Steve you're killing me" "come on, you know I have to jam you with some C___ if I give you some good stuff, thata's just how it works" I didn't even have to load anything. Some did better than I could do, some worse, but it all sold way faster than I could have sold it. A few things I figure I should have held a little longer, but overall no real regrets.

Now the stuff I don't have plans to sell.... that's different.