View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
There are many views on this board that vintage is completely disconnected from the rest of the hobby. A city on a hill or something. Regardless of whether you have an interest in newer cards or not, I don't believe "our" hobby is somehow the Land of Oz untouched by greater economic forces buffeting the rest of the hobby. It's also kind of cool to see any hobby gathering that has women and people under the age of 40 involved. Probably nowhere near as much B.O. as your average National though.
This made me think about being at the Nashville show a few weeks ago. I don't see a complete disconnect at all. I overhead kids and young adults asking about vintage at several of the tables I was at. It was a new world to some of them and they were really interested. Kids are coming to shows and asking questions so I think that's great for the hobby's future. It wasn't so long ago that shows were getting pretty stale.

I wasn't able to make it to Vegas but might try to hit up their next one depending on my schedule. There are relatively large shows in most major cities now. In the past couple years I've been to shows in Seattle, LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kansas City, St Louis, Des Moines, Chicago, Atlantic City, Nashville, etc. Even though modern dominates at most of them, I've found something vintage to pickup (that fits my collection) at every show I've been to. If you're strictly pre-war it might be a challenge at some, but I collect 50s-60s as well. Plus they've all been well attended and lots more kids and women than in the past so that's good to see. I love to travel so even if I didn't find anything I make a point to check out local food, bands, art, etc. Looking forward to Minneapolis and Strongsville later this month!

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/