Thread: Sandberg auto
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Scott ku.rtis

I have 3 autographs of Ryne Sandberg and they look nothing like this. I remember thinking I could not make out the Ryne part of it.....short story that maybe you all may appreciate.....

Let's call it 1990. I am on a fantasy trip with my grandpa, before they became what they are now. It basically was a tour bus that stalked the players, touting it as a "Major League Experience" wherein we stayed at the same hotel as the players. Not MLB affiliated at all.

So, the Cubs play the Mets that night. I am 11 years-old and Sandberg is my favorite player as I am a die hard Cubs fan. Anyway, late in the game he hits a big homerun that basically turns the tide of the gsme, and Cubs win. All summer, I planned to get his autograph for my two sisters and myself, because I thought my sisters would want one too. Lost 11 year-old-- they couldn't care less obviously-- what can I say? In the hotel afterwards, going up the escalator, I get 2 autographs, but my grandpa couldn't get the third. Sandberg says "I will get you later" to my grandpa. So we wait.

He goes to the bar, and there is an atrium upstairs. And we wait. And we wait. He and Doug Dascenzo are really clebrating the win. They close the bar down, and Dascenzo is walking him back, and my grandpa and I approach him, and HE SIGNS the card! He is really not sober, bit he is actually a nice guy about 2 semi-legit stalkers approaching him in his private time.

As an adult, I am not proud I stalked the poor guy. As a kid, it was one of the most exciting nights of my life, and a good memory with my grandpa.

I have a much better Andre Dawson story from that trip, if anyone interested. I love that guy.