View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default More from the Marshall Fogel collection

Posted By: davidcycleback

I should add that, if you think my definition holds water, the Baltimore News Babe Ruth would obviously not be his rookie card. Perhaps his first card, but not his rookie card.

Things are not always neat in rookie card world (many football player's first cards came in their 2nd or 3rd year in the NFL), but the one constant is that that the card has to be of the player as a Major Leaguer (NFL, AFL, NHL, NBA being their sports' major leagues).

Also note that my definition of rookie card does not involve opinion on financial value or desirability. If you think the first card made depicting the player as a minor leaguer is the best and should be worth the most, that is fine. In fact, the early mentioned 1982 TMCA Minor League John Elway books for more than his 1984 Topps NFL rookie card.

Most bending of the definition of rookie card doesn't come from collectors with sincere difference of opinion, but from sellers trying to wring the most money out of the card at sale. The classic being Ken Goldin calling the 1991 card showing Michael Jordan as a North Carolina Tar Heal 'Jordan's college rookie card.' I don't think Goldin beleived those were any sort of rookie cards, he just wanted more money.