View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
Good point on the cost of self-acquiring team signatures and potential for lack of neatness.

What you mentioned about "common" MVPs is my main concern with that approach. While it's the most straightforward and achievable, I don't think I'll get much thrill out of collecting the likes of Pearce, Freese, or Eckstein.

So I'm leaning toward the HOF approach. It's quite easy for existing HOFers, and most WS teams have an obvious top candidate (Schmidt, Brett, etc.). You're right that it can be a gamble projecting HOFers from recent teams, but there might be some fun in guessing and I could always swap out years later.

Any alternative approaches I should consider?
I think they can all be fun projects. It's all about what gets you interested.

It took me a while to find things that got me excited. I love baseball history, find more obscure collectibles interesting, and love big games/events but don't have the budget that some others have, so ultimately I started building a few areas of collection:
- baseball's integration - it's a super important part of baseball history and always has me learning more and finding out new interesting things about the sport and the country
- WWII baseball - same as above
- lineup cards - they are an abscure collectible, so I can find ones connected to bigger games/events and players for a cheaper price than a game worn bat or jersey
- Negro Leagues (same as first 2)

I think in all of this, whether you collect a team or a player, collect in person or buy pre-signed, it's about what you get out of it.