View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 09:13 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Those are awesome, Darren. Red was a beloved figure in St. Louis. Have a quick story told to me and another guy personally by Red in a suite at a Cardinals game about 15 years ago. There was a 1956 baseball card of Nelson Burbrink in a glass display case in the suite and I asked Red if he remembered him (of course he did). When I mentioned it was a '56 card he said "that was the year I got traded" and told us this story:

In the 1956 season Red and Stan Musial would drive to the ballpark together during home games. Their wives would then drive down together and they would then ride home with their wives after the game.

Red picked up Stan one day and Stan was in a foul mood. Red asked what was the matter and Stan said "Lane (the Cardinals GM at the time) called me and said he was going to trade me". The GM was known as "Trader Lane" at the time. Stan then said he called Gussie Busch, Chairman of Anheuser Busch who bought the team in 1953, and told him to call Lane and tell him he was crazy to trade him.

Apparently that happened and Busch called off any trade of Stan the Man. Red said as he was driving home he thought to himself "well if Lane was going to trade Stan he would also trade me". Sure enough, the next day, on the trading deadline, Red was traded to the NY Giants. Exactly one year later, also on the deadline, he was traded to the Milwaukee Braves which he helped win a World Series against the Yankees. He then contracted tuberculosis and was out a year, then traded back to the Cardinals before the 1961 season where he finished his career as a player, then became their manager as you beautifully depict above, winning a World Series against the the Red Sox in '67 and losing to the Tigers in '68.