View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
This photo was posted by gonefishin in the 1936 Sports Stamps thread. Here is my take on the photo. I replied there with same comments as below, but as gonefishin himself said, perhaps this should be a separate thread.

The guy on the left is Bucky Walters, the guy on the right is Jimmie Wilson. The 2 guys in uniform...the Lieutenant (left) I do not recognize. He is wearing "aviation greens", and appears to be wearing pilot wings. The Lieutenant-Commander is not Bob Feller. He was a Chief Petty Officer, not an officer, and he was not in the Medical Corps (this fellow seems to be wearing flight surgeon wings), he was a Gunner's Mate (and no self-respecting Chief would wear an officer's uniform). I believe this fellow is wearing a Cincinnati Reds hat, not Cleveland Indians, and while he looks a little bit like Bob Feller, I would bet the farm it is not him. Still, a nice photo with Walters and Wilson. It was Jimmie Wilson who converted Bucky Walters into a great pitcher after mediocrity as a third baseman.

... I'm leaning towards Lee Gamble as the guy between Bucky and " not-Bob-Feller" ;--- he has the jawline , chin , and nose , and maybe ear , and he did serve in the US Army , and I believe he's wearing an Army uniform , I think. A Reds historian could clear up this up in a few minutes. This is Net54 , after all.