View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default My Brother Comes Through Again

Posted By: Dan Bretta

He picked up this baseball for me last night at an auction - He had no clue and he couldn't tell me over the phone any of the names because he couldn't read them although they all look pretty easy to read to me.

I was hoping for a Western League or Nebraska State League ball when he told me it was Red/Black stitching on a Goldsmith ball, but it turns out to be a Nashville Vols Southern League ball from 1936. Lots of major leaguers on this ball and probably a lot of tough signatures since many of these guys died in the early 1970s.

Anyone know how difficult George Grantham's signature is? He died in 1954 and had a very good major league career hitting .302 in 13 seasons.

Major leaguers on this ball include Doug 'Poco' Tait, Byron Speece, George Grantham, Heinie Mueller (I don't know which one -if anyone knows which Heinie played for the Vols please email me), Al Cuccinello (Tony's Bro), Lance Richbourg (Player/Manager), Jack Crouch, and Harry Rice. This ball is also signed by Freddie Russell a sportswriter with the Nashville Banner who had a 70 year career in Nashville journalism.

There is one name on this ball that I can not make out it's signed JB B.....art??