View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Jack T

I've always wondered whether these red Mantle Day pennants were reproduced. I suspected that they were, even though they seem to be accepted as authentic.

The one I have also has the white edge and printing style like the other white-edged one shown. Other differences in the style of the lettering are that "I was there" is slightly italicized in the white-edged version and not so in the yellow-edged one; and the white outline of the word "Yankees" is thicker on the yellow-edged pennant, making it stand out more. I've never seen the yellow-edged one before.

I have to agree that the quality of the OP's yellow-edged pennant looks much better, which makes me agree with Jason that this is the "real deal" version sold in the Stadium that day. I think white-edged one is likely a reproduction, but may be a bootleg version sold by street vendors outside the stadium, as someone else suggested.

But I have seen another, very different, Mickey Mantle Day pennant. I've only seen it once, and I bought it while I had the chance. I posted this in another thread a long time ago, but it seems appropriate to show it here too.
Has anyone else seen this version?