View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 06:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Duke Snider

First, I will tell you a story about Duke Snider which I think you will appreciate. The Duke excelled in all sports in High School, and especially Football.

Remember Pete Rozelle, the NFL Commissioner (1960 - 1989), Rozelle and Snider were classmates at Compton High School (California) in the early 1940's.

A Sports reporter was stunned by Pete Rozelle's answer when he asked him….. "what was the most exciting play Pete had seen in all his years in Football ?"

Pete smiled and replied...."In 1944, his High School was playing for the Championship, and with less than 10 seconds left in the game, Snider (QB) threw a
perfect 63-yard pass to his receiver to win the game. Compton High School won the Championship that year."

Can you imagine....an 18-year old throwing the football approx. two/thirds the length of the field with just 10 seconds left in the game. This is absolutely an
unbelievable performance. Anyhow, I'm glad he chose Baseball for his career.

. .

Black back -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Red back

I met Duke Snider at the Asbury Park, NJ Show (1990). We had a nice conversation reminiscing about Baseball in the 1950's.
He was one of the most gracious and friendly Baseball stars that I have ever met at a BB card show.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 10-24-2021 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Added scan.