View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 11:25 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Once you put something out into the universe you can't control what happens to it. I'll use myself as an example. When I made the thumbs-down gesture I was showing my disapproval of a Yankees' home run. The Yankees took my gesture and turned it into a rally cry. I certainly didn't intend for that to happen.

Topps may have created the cards with the idea that they be separated, and collected as individual mini-cards, but obviously the hobby sees it differently.
Mine was basically a rhetorical question because someone came along and is trying to say the unseparated three panel cards don't really count as a separate, unique card now because Topps may have originally intended them to not be that. But as you mentioned, and I had previously pointed out and gave examples of, the hobby itself will decide and determine what it considers to be a complete, unique card. And it is pretty clear to me that most collectors want these '80-'81 Topps basketball cards as complete and unseparated three-panel cards. So despite what some others may be trying to say, people collect six different and unique Larry Bird cards from this set, not three.