View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I've been to Boxboro, and some ephemera shows. That's where I bought the Elten Schiller stuff.
I've found an occasional autograph in the dollar boxes.

There was a Boston book fair with a side ephemera show that was strange. The book fair was in the Hynes, the ephemera was in the parking garage next door. Weird seeing a fairly high end show being held like a flea market, and many booths on the ramps.

Once the kids came, I don't get out as much.
I get to Boxboro most years, and one or two other shows of some kind. Blockmania/legomania was sort of cool, except for lego being aggressively litigious. Even people making lamps out of legos couldn't call them "Lego lamps" supposedly because it implied that they were a product of the company.
I remember that show. ABAA bookshow in the Hynes and the ephemera show in the garage on Dalton Street. The ABAA people are a bit of dicks. No bags, no coat no nothing or you cannot enter. Yet strangely, a few of the sellers are people I would not trust with a bag of dog crap.

If you can make it down to Hartford for Papermania it may be worth your while. I can remember going down there prior to moving to Virginia in 2004 and seeing quite a few Morgan Bulkely signatures. The show had gotten a bit less intense the last time I went (2007 or 2008). When I first started going you would get in line several hours before the ticket booth would open, then after buying the tickets you would get into another line to get in the door. After the door opened you would walk down the stairs to the exhibit hall below the coliseum and stand behind a rope until they opened. Many of the dealers were the same and had the same booths. I knew which ones may have autographs I was looking for and would head there first. After that I would spend the rest of the day scrounging around. I even recall Josh Leland setting up and having a booth filled with press photos. Gary Somers (ponytail, glasses and Hawaiin shirts) from "Antiques Roadshow" and a good acquaintance would also set up.

I am hoping to check out the Allentown, PA paper show when I remember to go.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”