View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 06:02 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
I believe they have value to a point yes....but I also feel they are a bit flawed...like all metrics. And like all sports I don't think the numbers necessarily tell everything...they do more so in baseball than the other 3 major sports IMO. But when the WAR is that close...and I see a MJOR gap in counting statistics like BB, RBI, HR....and the stats that lean the other way are negligible....makes my decision easy. Macro/Aggregate view vs micro/hypothetical view for me
Kaline played in one of the easiest stadiums to hit HRs in. Clemente played in one of the most difficult. Kaline hit 226 HRs in Tiger Stadium, Clemente hit 86 in Forbes Field. The HR gap is negligible. Clemente had a much higher batting average and provided a huge value defensively over Kaline. While Clemente didn't steal a lot of bases, he had one of the highest extra bases taken percentages. Clemente also better stats with RISP, .327/.485 to .312/.474 for Kaline. RBIs are product of your teammates getting on base in front of you (as well as playing in a small home park).