View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I have been collecting this set for a few years and really like the artwork and the backs. This set exemplifies the birth of the NFL if you think about it. I love football history almost as much as baseball. One of my best friends great grandfathers was a guard or tackle on the Dayton Triangles , and he played in the very first football game. I really like looking at the few pics his family saved from that time. It's hard to believe that some guys played without helmets and padding back then too.
Lots of interesting theories as to why the high number cards are so scarce too. Some think it was a regional thing, but I don't think so. The old man I have been buying mine from for the last 10 years or so inherited his collection from his father who was a lifelong ohio resident. He bought all his cards in the Dayton area back in the 1930's. These cards are way undervalued if you ask me. The one problem with their value is that there is an unknown amount of unopened 1935 Chicle still out there. A year ago aomeone sold one box at a show in Cincinnati/Middletown Ohio, and I've seen another box in Kentucky for sale too. several ( 4 I think)unopened boxes were discovered in Johnstown Pa. a couple of years ago. PSA or SCD also did a story about some packs or boxes being found in Colorado and in Oklahoma if I remember. I need a decent looking Clark to replace my crappy one, a Nagurski, a Rockne,and 3 of the high number cards and I'll be done with this set. The way the Nagurski card has been climbing in value may put it out of reach for me. I saw a very very very poor looking copy sell for a few thousand dollars and told myself I would never pay that much $$ for a card that I could barely recognize.

I wonder how many guys on here collect vintage football ? I collect all the 40's leaf and bowman and some of the early 50's bowman sets