Thread: $10,000
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Anyone who knows the best place to park a pile for the next year or two either has a crystal ball or is full of sh*t.
More true today than ever, but I personally think "parking a pile" in baseball cards is not a bad idea. I certainly don't know the best place, but I am definitely "full of sh*t".

I just had a conversation with my Mother, and last week with my girlfriend, regarding their investments. No one knows what's going to happen, but given the trillions in paper money we are in the process of creating, permanently lost jobs, businesses re-opening under new conditions with below-sustainable seating, businesses never re-opening - SOMETHING is going to be different in our financial future and it's best to give it some serious thought right now, as the sh*t could be heading toward the fan as early as late Summer.

I recommended that they talk with someone who can at least discuss the nation's economic future - various possibilities over the next couple of years - and decide if they need to move investments. It's a serious enough topic that I might even stop muting the t.v. when William Devane appears.

I personally believe that real estate and tangible assets is the way to go. Cash and stocks could ruin you. Since baseball cards are tangible assets, I think they are a better than normal investment right now. But I would go with the expensive oldies, staying away from the ones that seem to be at abnormally high prices that don't make sense (in your own mind). For instance, I don't think the price on 1933 lower-grade Ruth cards makes any sense, so they wouldn't be part of my portfolio. But you may feel differently. Same for Type I photos that are coming out of the wood-work, but keep going up in price - how long can that last? But that's just my opinion. Maybe for you its stacks of Ken Griffey Jr. rookies - the '80s and '90s stuff that I thought would never go up in value...is going up. Perhaps piles of Babe Ruth photos? I'm personally leaning toward 'unique' and 'rare' old stuff, but again, just my opinion.