View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 07:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
I don't know that this is what everyone is looking for but its something that resonates with a bunch of us.............

Sometime back in the 80s, as a young shy guy, I played baseball, it turned into an outlet.
Thats just "what we did", and I was a very enthusiastic golfer, and ultimately I chose golf (and clubhouse baseball kid) btw.
I always had people I talked to in the clubhouse, the Richmond Braves had a ton of people come through, not just for the Braves,(I was a bat boy for the Braves at the time) but the other teams.

I spoke to an absolute bunch of players, Mookie Wilson, Dwight Gooden, Dale Murphy, ( a TON of Braves players) but the one that stands out was Kirby Puckett.
Most have no idea, but he was "that guy" trust me.
One night we were settling things in the visiting clubhouse, it was just a "we are playing moment".
I walked up towards the front, and KIRBY PUCKETT himself asked me something, I will never forget it.
He said "How are YOU chief?" He said it loud and clear...... I had no idea he was talking to me, momentarily.
I looked over both shoulders, I couldn't believe he was talking to some poor clumsy white kid.
He said "Yeah, how are YOU chief?"
I couldn't believe it, he was such a "bigger than life" guy.

I just shrugged it off, but he was very accommodating.
Such a nice guy....................

-Scott
cool i went to a few richmond braves games in the 80s..i worked in a D.C. area hotel and met a bunch of people from detroit including an alleged player in in the family and they were all from michigan..i wrote the last name down just to see if that player ever panned out, like 10 years later i came across my writing and it said 'Smoltz'