View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Howard, that card looks photo engraved. On your #6 card, the stitches on the ball and the details in Babe's hand are visible. And it It makes me think these PSA cards were real, which would make sense considering the lesser important cards are included and the images are of good quality.

But having said that, we probably shouldn't go 100% on it yet. If you get a chance, put that card right next to to your batting pose, scan both at the same time with the same resolution or higher if possible, and crop into the top corners of both (so they are included in the same image), go half way down and do the same, then do the bottoms).

Do it in such a way that we know what we're looking at, such as include the small card number in one blown up image with part of the other card as you progressively go from top to bottom with consecutive images. Start with posting the scan of both cards as they laid on your scanner and follow with the progressives. Then do the backs the same. I think doing this with both sides with each card side by side is very important, and it's very important to do it in such a way that we know what we're looking at.

If you have a camera in which the F-stop and shutter speed can be adjusted, I can talk you through getting a clear picture. Put the ISO and F-stop at the lowest setting and use the tripod. Center the meter exactly in the regular picture and then again under the black light, which will require moving the shutter speed way down. When I press the button on mine to take the picture, the shutter stays open 10-20 seconds or so.

I searched google for 1928 Ruth Candy with both city names and found this disturbing image:

Wiped the puke off my computer and found some real SGC cards that look like your batting pose and my standing portrait:

Found the card that has the small card number and the dark grey back and cropped image, which looks fake:

There aren't very many images of these cards. But from what it looks like so far,

1. the small card numbers could be real if the image isn't cropped and the back is the correct color (beige-ish, brown-ish vintage paper)

2. The few San Francisco cards I've seen don't look right, but I haven't seen many.

When it comes to the small card number, it looks like these are going to be our fakes, cropped images and all: