View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Default A sort of Old Judge Proof essay

Posted By: Hankron 

My computer is back in working order. Turns out the part was in Dallas-- Leon could have just walked over and picked it up.

As promised I've started an illustrated essay after the dubious Old Judge Proofs situtation ... The only problem is that the essay doesn't actually mention Old Judge Proofs (I'm such an airhead sometimes).

The essay (which has just started) is about the basics of authenticating albumen print photos. The Old Judges (big and small) are albumen, and the fakes are not. The Peck & Snyders, Four Base Bits, Gypsy Queens, 1863 Hoboken Ticket, SF Hess, Kalamazoo Bats, Joseph Hall Cabinets and many many other 19th century baseball items are albumen photos too .... It's an eleven page (as in web page) essay. I've finished the first 3 pages (few would read the whole 11 page thing at once anyway. Hell, I probably wouldn't read the whole thing in one sitting and I'm used to reading boring stuff).

I did not include specific reference to the Old Judge Proofs. It's not that I'm mean or anything, but writing essays and articles is hard (for everyone, of course) and I've written so much about baseball photos in my lifetime that I'm through writing about that particular subject unless there's a compelling reason (preferably of the green kind).

http://www.cycleback.com/albumen/