View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 08:23 PM

I suppose you're right, Peter, but collectors do look at the guide, out of whack as it is sometimes. PSA certainly seems to give some cards great attention and gracious price evaluating, whilst others get re-evaluated once in a great while, with only a token price increase.

I realize just because I think a particular card is very special does not mean PSA will also think so. Or, rather, what they consider as a more important card, and price it to "the moon", and while I agree with their price for that important card, I find it frustrating that what I think is an equally important and desirable card of the same type and caliber, with an even more intriguing background story, they seem to ho-hum it compared to the card they fancy.

Be that as it may, it will usually be tough to convince them of my case, when I'm the owner of said case.

I might as well say it. I'm referring to the July 10, 2021 Memory Lane Auction of the Dr. Thomas Newman Collection, specifically lot 491. Currently, the PSA Price Guide lists this card in Near Mint for $35,000. The result of the MLAuction ended at $68,125. The price includes the buyer's premium, which ostensibly should be factored in anyway, since the winner shan't receive the card for the hammer bid. The last time this particular card was auctioned was the fall of 2015, when it sold for $31,366. Thus, the opportunity to own it is quite infrequent.

The card PSA seems to tout a lot more is the 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams. I understand; that's a great card from a great set. It truly deserves the recognition. Whereas, the Mantle comes from a set that is extremely hard to find in high grade. Many, many more people collect the Wilson set, whilst few collect the Stahl-Meyer Franks. Be that as it may, when one considers the PSA Master Set Registry for the two players in question, there are currently 52 registrants for the Ted Williams PSA Master Set Registry, whilst the number of collectors involved in the Mickey Mantle Master Set Registry is at 173 collectors. For each registry, the sheer potential cost is staggering. Be that as it may, that is not the issue of my OP.

If you have any more thoughts, Peter, I welcome them, as well as from any of you others.

Best regards, Brian Powell