View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 AM

Default 1991 Dumouchelle auction --Book collector interest

In 1991 at Dumouchelle auctions in Detroit, there was a legendary auction of baseball books. While not well advertised, some insiders, not me, knew of it and got some incredible books at relative bargains even though the bids exceeded the ridiculously low estimates by a wide margin. Long time hobbyists like Lew Lipset, say that it was well known that the older items in the sale originated with the Chadwick family, but the auction catalogue only states, "from a prominent Detroit family".
I finally found a copy of the hard to find auction catalogue. The descriptions are not at all detailed, unfortunately, but there are some exceptional books. Two are specifically described as having Chadwick connections, an autographed copy of
the 1860 Beadle's DimeBase Ball Player which was sold by REA a few years ago, and a copy of Ward's Base-Ball inscribed by Ward to Chadwick. Other books may have had other evidence of Chadwick connections that were not deemed worthy of mention. Another item of special note was "1871-1873 Diary of Charles Wright, son of Henry Wright, owner of the red Stocking Ball Club". I had never heard of this and wonder if anyone knows here it is? It is too hard to list them all, but the earliest item was a 1859 Tri-Mountain and Portland clubs scorecard, framed, done in pen, ink, watercolor and engraved with a silk woven ribbon depicting a baseball game.
If anyone has any specific questions about listings, let me know and I will forward whatever is available.
I would also like to hear stories from anyone who attended, or has something from the sale, or has any information about it. It really was an historic event and I hope there are some good stories.