View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Here's my personal photographic evidence. Dismiss it if you want, maybe we could talk about, maybe some people agree. From what I see in the newspaper photo, it appears as though Joe was tagged out on his left knee/leg by Lord's right hand, which was holding the baseball. Joe's right foot is off the ground and still has not touched the bag and his left leg is most likely tucked under his right leg, making the out most likely occurring with a tag to the left knee. It doesn't appear that Lord would have tagged Joe's right leg for the out, since he is, at least to me, clearly reaching for the out with his bare right hand. Yes? No? I think yes.

In the T202 photo, it really isn't clear if Lord has the ball in his hand or his glove. What I think is clear, is that the runner's right leg is very close to the bag already and his left knee is very far away. For you to tag that runner out, it seems as though you would absolutely have to tag him on his right leg, which would contradict the out made in the newspaper photo, if we can agree that Lord is most likely holding the ball in his bare hand and reaching to tag with it in the newspaper photo. Thinking about natural progression, it seems unlikely that the runner in the T202 photo's left leg would get close enough for Lord to tag it out before his right leg hit the bag.

The newspaper says Jackson was tagged out before reaching the bag, not because he may have slid in safe and his foot came off the bag. So in the newspaper photo, Joe is being tagged. Does it like his left leg or his right leg is being tagged? To me it is the left, because Lord's right arm is making a shadow on Joe's right leg, and you can see it is not being touched. But when looking at the T202 photo, it doesn't seem like the runner's left leg could be tagged out before his right leg hit the bag, or that the natural tag for that particular play would be on the left leg, which to me suggests that the runner in the T202 was not tagged out on his left leg like Jackson was in the newspaper photo.