View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

David Clyde:

'Clydepepper' was the moniker my teammates laid on me as I was a lefty with some promise at the time...of course our league wasn't anywhere close to the majors.

Though I don't know for sure, the movie 'Talent for the Game' seemed to be based on David Clyde's rush to the majors...of course, they had to provide a happier ending.

In 1981, Clyde was 6-0 with a 0.76 ERA pitching for the AA Columbus (GA) Astros.

Columbus is my hometown and I kick myself all the time because I missed seeing him pitch. I was probably working in retail management then, so I didn't get much free time.

I did get to see Floyd Bannister pitch one of his only three games here in 1976. He was in his first year out of Arizona State...and man, was his windup and delivery smooth!

I also got to chat with Joe Sambito one night when he was charting pitches...and got to meet and shake hands with Russell Branyan the year he led the minors in homers with 40- That was 1996, the regular park was being used for Olympic Softball- and the Columbus Indians played on the same field on which I played in College (before flunking out- the first time).

Our last pro team left after the 2006 season...not enough support. Sad!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-30-2023 at 03:05 PM.