View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Just to see if we are describing the same thing, I have posted two 'size' variations of Garibaldi (I wish they were all this easy to differentiate). This is just one scan, so as to not get any size distortion. I would call the card on the left 'small' and the card on the right 'large' due to the relative size of the player's image on each card. Is this how you classify them as well?

Brian

That's the $64 question! The one on the right you posted above is obviously a larger pose than the one on the left. Horne's 1970's list has only the 1935 Garibaldi card ("offer expires April 1st 1936") and calls it the "large" pose, but gives no indication of the date of a "small" pose. Currently, I have only two different Garibaldi's scanned, the 1935 one ("offer expires April 1st 1936") and the 1937 ("offer expires Oct. 30th, 1937").

The one you pictured on the right appears similar to the 1935 Garibaldi ("offer expires April 1st 1936"). While at first glance, the card on the left of your previous post looks like the 1937 one of my scan, you'll notice the shape of the boxes containing the player's name are different on these two cards. The box on the 1937 issue of my scan is square, while the corners on the box of the first card pictured in your scan are each cut off making the box an octagon (a box style used on many 1930s cards through those with offers that expired Oct 1st 1936). So we now have two similar "small" poses issued in different years.

Anybody have any suggestions on a one or two word phrase we can use to differentiate these three cards (and perhaps a fourth one that might show up)?

Mike

ADDED AFTER INITIAL POST:

I forgot to mention Art Garibaldi's relevant playing history. He played for Sacramento from 1931 through part of 1936, with the rest of 1936 (6-20 to 9-27) with the St. Louis Cardinals, then returned to Sacramento for 1937. In 1938, he played for the Columbus Red Birds. It would be easy to assume the missing coupon on the unidentified card you posted was a 1935 one ("expires Oct 1st 1936"), but with Garibaldi's playing record with Sacramento I think we should wait until an actual coupon shows up. I too wish the 1930's Zeenuts cards "were all this easy to differentiate."

Last edited by abctoo; 10-01-2020 at 10:43 AM.