View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 01:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A couple of months ago there was a show out here at a fairgrounds (inside). While the whole state was shuttered up, there was some technicality involved that allowed a large gathering to take place. We sped over there, and like what everyone else is talking about, it was almost entirely made up of new, shiny stuff. That was a frickin' shock, and there were only two (adjoining) tables of vintage tucked away in the corner (which doesn't make sense, because the layout was an oval, but I digress). That's it. Everything else was modern. It was really disappointing at the time, but in hindsight I starting seeing the glass as half full. Since this was a modern show, 'nobody' cared about the vintage stuff at all, and everyone just passed by those tables without a second thought. Those sellers were forlorn. One of them deserved to be, as he's at every show with his Dean's-esque pricing model, but the other guy was someone new from Arizona. The lack of traffic allowed me to really go through his stuff methodically and shoot the breeze for a long period of time, without the worry of other people beating me to great cards by digging at the same time. There just wasn't any competition, and I used that to my advantage when negotiating prices on a bunch of ungraded stuff. In the end, I got a nice deal on a Lou Brock RC, a 1966 Pete Rose, and a bunch of sharp cornered 1966 high numbers, including a Choo Choo (OC) and Grant Jackson RC. He also had a bunch of ungraded 1952 high numbers, but he wouldn't budge on the prices, around $200 a pop IIRC. The simple fact is, if this was a 'normal' vintage-centric show, someone would've bought up these cards the moment they set their eyes upon them. So, overall it sucked, but I did walk away with a handful of sweet cards at a great price.

I guess my point is, at an overabundance-of-modern-cards-show, sometimes great opportunities will still present themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-18-2021 at 01:57 PM.