View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 01:28 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice question and answer too....Personally I think the questioner probably got it right .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Ra...item3ce65cf61f

I was the questioner. I am surprised he allowed it to appear on his bidpage. This is what I replied:

Dear aglazier,
Not my opinion. It is a fact. Your card is a page cut from a Spalding's Official Baseball Guide. The number you refer to is the page number in the book, not a card number in a set. There are a couple of guys on eBay who for many years have made a cottage industry of breaking up old books, slabbing and grading the pages themselves, and passing them off to naive buyers as valuable collectibles. I have been collecting vintage baseball cards for fifteen years. Let me assure you that PSVA is not a bona fide grading company. "A great investment on a real piece of baseball heritage sure to go up in value over time" is just fluffy BS. These items are held in contempt by serious sports card collectors. Maybe you already know this, maybe you don't. EBay doesn't hold a seller to an honest standard so here's hoping you act in good conscience.

That he didn't post. In fact he received a second bid, or shill, or whatever. I am half-waiting for him to reply that he will report me to eBay for interfering in his auction or some such crock. Fact is he can do whatever the hell he pleases with this Ty Cobb "card". Some sucker will get ripped off, the hobby will be incrementally diminished and eBay won't care a bit.