View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Default Who do you collect with?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I collect in competition with the other Gils. One collects coins, and the other non-sports. We all have similarly (un)advanced collections. The coin Gil is a real nut job, he has books of coins which are all alike, differing only by date, and sometimes mint mark. How boring! Recently he has branched out into type collecting for sets which he will never be able to collect 'em all. In some instances though, he is assembling multiple examples of the same date, produced by the same mint; varying only by changes in the actual dies used for striking the coins, or degredation of individual dies. I gotta keep after this twerp. He loses touch with reality.

The non-sports Gil assembles WWII related cards. For the most part, he has it easy! Entire sets can sometimes be bought for the price of a single nice baseball card. So he goofs off a lot, loses direction, and starts sets like American Indians and other stuff which is off focus. I have to keep after him too, in order to keep him on track.

No one else will have anything to do with us, or our collections. My wife has been convinced that even if this stuff is not a good investment, it is sellable. So, it is a method of forced savings (but she doesn't know where on my perception of the food chain my cards, pets, and other edible entities lie).