View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Actually, I volunteered for 10.5 hours and walked 13.5 miles while there . I was a greeter and took people to wherever they wanted to go first and then showed them where their next stop would be. It was very fun! As a volunteer, I was able to get two items appraised.

I took my Willie Mays skateboard. Grant from MBA Auctions in Seattle said $1000 and from what I've seen, that's about right (even in this condition). I recently learned these were made for one year only, only sold in CA and only sold at Macys.

My other item was this 9' wide bunting. Thanks to Dave Grob (I think), I was able to photo match it to the first Opening Day at Candlestick in 1960. Grant liked it and said $1500-2500
Really nice stuff! Would love to own that Mays skateboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I didn't realize that MBA auctions had a rep at the Roadshow. I wonder if that's how they came into the Clarence Steen autograph collection they auctioned last year. I would really love to hear the story behind that collection. Who owned it, and how they came to own it.

edited to add: I went to the roadshow about 10 years ago and Simeon Lipman looked at my baseball cards....I had about 10 Old Judge Omaha players, I don't recall what he valued them at. I also took some very rare Kruschev and Mao bobbleheads that I wanted Ted Hake to look at, but I unfortunately got some lady who damn near broke the Kruschev, she started shaking it to make the head bobble and when I say shaking it, I mean violently. I think my jaw hit the table...I snatched it back and told her not to touch it again. She told me it was worth 10 bucks. I told her she was waayyyy off and I asked for Ted Hake. He unfortunately couldn't make the trip to Omaha. I sold the Kruschev and Mao nodders for about $2,000 on the Nodder Exchange a few years later.
Good for you! That would have infuriated me, thinking, because of who she is and who she works for, something like that would never happen. The shock of seeing her do that must have been something else!