View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
If they are being honest they will tell you it is really because they are STUPID. Plain and simple the majority of poor people are poor because they are dumb. You can't expect them to magically make good food decisions when they do not have the ability to make intelligent decisions. As someone who grew up seriously poor and still has some seriously poor friends from the old neighborhood that is my real life observation.

Covid also seems to be a popular Thanksgiving acquisition.
If you were a co-worker of mine, I could introduce you to over 100 doctors I know and NONE of them will tell you that it is because poor people are stupid---some of them treat the indigent populations of patients and they can speak from experiences with hundreds of individuals. I also grew up seriously poor and I still have friends that are heads of lower income families. You and I absolutely have not made the same real-life observations; these friends intellectually were a microcosm of the general population (translation: some are smart, others not so smart, and most are in the average range of intellect). Perhaps you should consider that your view is extremely limited because of your experiences or who you knew, and maybe, just maybe, there are other explanations....and that looking at a larger number of people than the few you associated with could lead to a different point of view, or at least the notion that you should be open to that possibility. Too say that the majority of poor people are stupid and to use this as an explanation of obesity is just ridiculous. You can read more about health care disparities and diet in underserved populations if you really want more insight in this area---the actual data will convince you much better than I could, if you have the interest in pursuing it further. I'll just leave it there.