View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You really don't think there's an issue with America's food supply? Why are so many of the products used widely in the American food chain (BVO, high fructose corn syrup, ammonia-laced beef, chlorine-laced chicken, pork full of ractopamine, etc.) banned in so many other countries? These products are included in a large variety of low-cost foods, like fast food, for example, which we all know utilizes "pink slime" to fill out their menus. Dollar menus are cheap alternatives for families but they are always the worst food you could eat.

So you have a cycle of people who can't afford food that won't kill them and a country that authorizes the use of products known to make people ill in the food they can afford.
There's some sarcastic context from earlier, when it was insisted that America's obese are too poor to even afford fast food and that that is not the problem.

Obviously unhealthy food is a huge problem. However, it's not the supply so much as that the more tasty tempting choices that are everywhere. There is no shortage of healthy food available. You can very, very easily eat fairly healthy for the same or less money. A giant tub of spinach costs less than a Big Mac (the burger, not the combo). Salads are cheap. I eat healthy and spend LESS money than I did when I made poor health choices. I am not special.

While junk food poses other health problems, one can eat crap food and still be thin or lose weight. It's a caloric equation, study after study has found this, that if you eat bad food but run a calorie deficit, you still lose weight. Eating a smaller portion is not more expensive. It does not cost the poor anything to eat less. If one is obese, they need to eat less (or choose not to, that's ones right). Eating less is not more expensive. Obviously. I wish there was less junk food being sold everywhere, but it's there because people choose to buy Big Mac's far more often than they choose to buy the $4 tub of Spinach. It's a choice people make. Getting healthy food is not difficult, I have been all over this country and lived in upper class places and very low class ones. I have never had any difficulty whatsoever finding healthy food for the cost of fast food or less. I am not special.

Eating healthy can be done on the same budget. People are wildly obese in America from all social and economic classes (what's the average T-shirt size at a card show of affluent people with extra spending money? XXL?). It is cheaper to eat smaller servings. People just don't excercise self control. Your weight is one of the few things in life you have near total control over. People just prefer victim narratives and pretending there wasn't ever a choice than taking any responsibility for their choices they make every single day.