View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 01:55 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's a choice to smoke cigarettes, it's a choice to eat fast food, it's a choice to do bad things to yourself for the short term pleasure of it. It is not a choice any one makes anyone else do. It is a choice one is free to make.

If one lacks self control or discipline, then they will probably eat poorly and suffer the obesity and shortened life as a result. Again, you can eat perfectly fine for the same or less money than fast food. It is not difficult to find healthy food in any sizable city in the nation. I was poor and broke living in the hood during college. I managed to eat just fine after I had the wake up call that it might not be wise to stuff garbage into my stomach every day. It's a matter of basic discipline and self-control. Eat healthier to be healthier, eat less to lose weight. Obesity is rampant in the middle and upper classes too. It's not a money problem (many other things negative to health are), obesity is a self-control problem. I want McNuggets too, they're fantastic. But I don't go get them. That is not because I'm not poor anymore, it's because I exercise basic restraint. My grocery store sells the big huge tub of Spinach for the same $5 that the 20 piece McNugget costs. I am confident other people are perfectly capable of this very basic discipline as well. It is not a special quality. I think a poor person is just as capable as possessing discipline or any other virtue as a middle class or upper class person.
For the most part I agree here. I've been in multiple financial/societal situations in my life and I've always had the option. I also know that there are more severe food deserts than the one I have lived in most of my life.

Very interesting link and food desert map: https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-produc...-to-the-atlas/

For me, it was my health that made the decision for me to change my eating habits. I still struggle with weight, but that's a portion problem that I am slowly gaining control of over time. Changing what I ate was INFINITELY more difficult than changing the portion sizes.

In my case I had severe joint problems (to the point of almost being prescribed meds for rheumatoid arthritis), then as a last ditch effort removed gluten from my diet and voila! Within a week I felt what it was like to be human again. Then I eliminated dairy after developing a lactose intolerance, and again, quality of life leveled up. Then I removed all meat products, this was mostly an ethical decision, but not a difficult sacrifice as I've never cared for meat at any point in my life, and once again, quality of life went up.

Now, shopping at the grocery store is WAY easier, and I cook a ton, which I concede does take a not insignificant amount of time, but I no longer want to go to a restaurant of any kind because my food is better (or at least I like it more).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, changing how/what you eat takes a lot of time, effort, and as G1911 said, self discipline, but I would argue that the majority of people have the healthy options within a reasonable distance, and well within their current budget (if they take the time they will likely also lower their food bill).