View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 01:35 PM
J0hn Collin$

Our cards being worth something is always kind of a nice fallback, a hobby which you can get something out of if you really need to - and not something like owning a boat where you just essentially pour money through a hole in the water as your "asset" only depreciates more and more over time.

What I hate about these boom and bust markets though, is how it makes us feel about our cards on a daily basis. Sure, I'm glad they are worth "something", but all this FOMO (whether we admit it or not...) creeping in causes us to question our decisions, and forces a financial view upon things when in some cases it wasn't necessarily there before. I don't blame people for taking an interest in what certain cards are worth, especially if whatever is stashed away in their closet or safety deposit box may suddenly be now exponentially more valuable. It's just human nature. Especially if it would help someone retire sooner, or something like that. But it forces that devilish catch-22 of having to consider some of the financial aspects, when for many hobbyists for a long time - it wasn't necessarily about that.

So, for me at least - all this valuation bubble stuff is very much a mixed bag of tricks.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 01:40 PM.