View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
The longer this goes, the more skeptical I become. I saw two examples occur last night that make me feel this way, both compliments of PWCC. First off, a PSA 3 '52 Topps Jackie Robinson sells for just north of $16k?! Yes, I get the idea that it has supposedly been undervalued for a long time and such, but seriously?

Also last night, I watched a PSA 3 '56 Topps Mays go for $616. That card could have been had for $150-175 for years. Right after that auction ended (another PWCC special), I watched a BIN which was listed at $399 obo get snapped up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not my dad here upset that bread isn't 5 cents a loaf anymore, but even $399 is quite a bit for that card. But that's how it happens. PWCC runs up an auction to a ridiculous level, so that a card that was somewhat overpriced suddenly doesn't look so bad, and it becomes the new normal for that card. This is now happening with PSA 3s! I have resisted wearing the tin foil hat and have shaken my head when I have seen other members indicate they are laying low for a while until this calms down, but even I am starting to think that might not be such a bad idea.

I really don't know what to think, and I may just stick to commons for my sets for a while and see what happens.

edit to add: I have a lot of cards that have risen in value dramatically, but I would sacrifice that in a heartbeat to be able to add stars to my collection at reasonable prices.
I was also watching that PSA 3 52 Jackie with the wtf thoughts as it finished. If that was a legit sale, there are some true dumb dumb entering the room. I am doing exactly as you mentioned, only searching for common set fillers until things take a shift (which they will).

On the bright side, the shift from big card purchases has reopened my eyes to some toy spending.