View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Mention of Mattingly and Garvey make me think another thread - “Guys who felt like Hall of Famers during their careers, but now are unlikely to be inducted”.

Guess you’d need to specify “non-steroids addition” to keep the list of reasonable size.

Garvey, Mattingly, Murphy…maybe Joe Carter?
It is the Hall of FAME, not great. As a child of the 1970's and 80's, no baseball players were more famous than Garvey, Mattingly, and Murphy. They also had borderline great careers, but they were FAMOUS. Dave Parker also fits this category. Joe Carter.... decent career but only famous for 1 game.

As a midwest Cardinal fan, Garvey was famous, but became infamous for stealing the MVP from Lou Brock in 1974. Murphy was a 2 time MVP, and benefitted from the boom in cable TV, led by Ted Turner, owner of the Braves.
Mattingly, MVP and Yankee legend, back injuries slowed him down. Parker was an MVP, and famous for 2 great throws in an all star game, plus on one of the legendary teams, We Are Family 1979 Pirates.

If the 1984 Tigers had been able to sustain that greatness, rather than just that 1 magical year, I think Lou Whitaker (who should be in anyway, and Lance Parrish (not sure on him) would also be in.

I'd put these guys pictured in the HOF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garvey.jpg (35.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg mattingly.jpg (29.3 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg murph.jpg (30.6 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg parker.jpg (38.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Lwhitaker.jpg (44.8 KB, 298 views)