View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Default Retro Clean

I decided to try this out. First off: thanks to Marc for the idea and the information. I never heard of RC until he described his work on his Oilers pennant.

I picked up a Phillies Blue Jay pennant some time ago, it was rather dirty but it’s a very tough version. The soiling was years of gradual buildup and as a result, didn’t display well. I had it packed away.

The original intention was to apply it to the dirtiest spots, but as I should have expected, this caused a stain-looking outline to where it was applied. I then had a “what the hell” moment and went full blown soaking. One gallon of warm water, four teaspoons of RC. And at first it looked like disaster, the smell upon soaking was very strong and I have to say it smelled like fish. It went away after a few minutes. I only let it soak for about three hours (directions say up to 48) then let it sit in pure water for an hour, then hung it to dry overnight from a pants hanger.

The result? GREAT SUCCESS!

I would say that 75% of the dirt was removed and now it looks great on the wall. No bleeding or color loss. No change in size. No smell, no sign at all that anything was used to clean. Pictures below.

Then I got cocky and used it on another blue jay pennant I had packed away, the slightly more common one with the solid gold bird. This had some soiling near the spine. (Also mild fading along the top edge which of course remained.) Again, I’d say about 75% of dirt removed, and again with ZERO other effects to the pennant. Maybe it would have been even better had I let them soak longer and kept the water warm by keeping in sunlight (as recommended).

Pics are below, first two before, last two after. I think for some pennants this will work well, if you try this, test with Q tip to see if colors will run.

Next up? I have a few sooty white pennants ... might not take that gamble though.

Last edited by thetahat; 05-28-2020 at 06:33 PM.