View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea that Exhibits from the 1920's had dates on the back. I don't collect exhibits because I lump them in with postcards (which I don't consider cards, but many do). As for Beckett listing only American cards as rookies, they only covered the 4 major North American sports where that would make sense. Boxing cards are not from a purely North American sport, so that designation can not work for this sport. If that designation were to apply across the board then there would never be a cricket, rugby or any other foreign sport rookie because America doesnt make cards for these sports. Beckett only originally had price guides for the 4 North American sports, so it makes perfect sense that a rookie, according to them, could only come from N. America.

As for the argument about what a card is, I kind of go with the eye test. Exhibits look like postcards to me, so that is what I consider them. Sportscasters look like flimsy pieces of paper to me, so I consider them pictures on flimsy pieces of paper (although I do own some). Hemmets Journal "cards" were never meant to be cut in to cards, so I consider the Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay to be a picture cut out. No two people are going to agree on what is or what isn't a card every time, but we can all use our eyes and your logic to judge for yourself...Now it is off to bed for me since I have to be up bright and early to go to a charity bar crawl tomorrow haha.