View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 08:00 PM
TJ D3m@rzi0

Default 1971 Pirates Sunday Autograph Photo Clemente card question. Help needed with PSA

Advice is appreciated on how to proceed w/ PSA as I would prefer to get the correct set year & name on the slab label. If PSA can’t recognize it was part of the 1971 Pirates “Sunday Autograph" Photos set, it will be labeled as “trading card”. It appears PSA needs proof other than the catalog mentioned below.

Background : For the last 3 weeks, PSA has rightfully kept my 1971 Clemente Sunday Autograph Photos card in the “Research & ID” phase. Their team can’t confirm it’s part of this 1971 Pirates team issued set since their system & Clemente registry doesn't include this set yet.

Below info is now considered incorrect.
----------------------------------
According to various editions of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Card (by the late Bob Lemke), Clemente had 2 cards in the ‘71 Action Photos set. Each has the same picture but the key diff is the placement of the text (& omission of jersey # & pos)

Attached is a picture of the catalog plus my card (text in pic) & the other version (text on the bottom border) that PSA recognizes in their system.

Note: the 365 days of Roberto Clemente thread has been helpful in my research.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493

Actual summary from the catalog = “1971 Pittsburgh Pirates Action Photos

A successor to the team-issued autograph cards of 1968-70, this set of souvenir photos was produced in a 4" x 5-1/2" black-and-white format on semi-gloss paper. The player's name, position, and uniform number were printed on front. Backs are blank. Some cards have the player's name printed in the white bottom border, some have it within the photo. The set was issued in two series. The checklist is presented here alphabetically within series.”

Last edited by tjisonline; 04-24-2024 at 08:40 AM.