View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Hi guys,

I just got back from my first spring training game since COVID shut everything down last spring.

I'm an Orioles fan and collector that loves more than just cards. A big part of my collection are programs, media guides, schedules, postcards and photos.

Over the past few years, the Orioles PR dept has continued to embrace electronic media to the disappointment of many O's collectors. First they scrapped printed media guides, then magnet skeds and yearbooks.

Now, at the game today, I was told that no more programs will be printed, that I could down load them to my phone. The plan is to eliminate them during the regular season also. They are also planning to eliminate player postcards after printing them each year since 1954.

I have Orioles spring training & regular season programs back to 1954. Has anyone else heard of teams going completely electronic and killing that segment of the hobby. Ticket collectors have already experienced my pain.
I hear ya. I was at Kershaw's No hitter and the Kings Stanley cup win the week before that. I had the printed out fake tickets which I promptly shred. That coming from a kid who loved to get my programs signed on a Sunday at ballpark and still have my all ticket stubs as well from the 1970's. I also had one of the first SX-70 Polaroid cameras. I would take pictures of the players and they would watch them develop in front of their eyes.

Can you imagine June 4th 1971 no programs or ticket stubs, they are retiring numbers for Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Sandy Koufax. You're 10 years old and your grand pa tells you the wrinkled guy in a horse blanket jacket in the 100 degree heat you are sitting next to is "Casey Stengel". Then the old guy asks you your name before he signs your program and you say Chuck. He says "is it Charles, that's my name". Then he proceeds to sign your program To Charles from Charles Casey Stengel, from Casey Stengel. 3 times on my program.

I have all my signed programs when I was a kid but that one has been missing for 25 years.