View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I totally agree. I seems to me that putting a publication together is most of the work and getting them printed is the easy part, but I'm not an expert on printing.

For what it's worth, here's the response I received back from the Orioles. I would be more optimistic, if the Orioles hadn't already started the process of going digital before the pandemic. They eliminated printed media guides and yearbooks several years ago.

Hi Alan,

We contacted our Publications department regarding your feedback and they wanted to share this note with you.

Dear Mr. Strout,

First, thank you for your nearly 50 years of loyal support as an Orioles fan. Fans like you, who have supported the team for decades and help to preserve the rich history of Orioles Baseball through your own personal collections, make Birdland truly special.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us regarding the decision not to print the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine, and certainly understand the importance of tradition even as technology evolves and changes the media landscape. Please know that this was not a decision that was made lightly, and it was ultimately due to the unique circumstances we find ourselves in as a result of the ongoing pandemic.

As we gradually return to normal, Ed Smith Stadium is operating at 25 percent capacity as part of the Orioles’ Gameday Health & Safety policies. For this reason, we made the decision to make the 2021 Spring Training edition of Orioles Magazine available exclusively online so that fans who aren’t able to make it to Sarasota this year can still read up on their favorite Birds. The decision also allows us to limit touch points at the ballpark.

We understand the value of a physical program, especially from a historical standpoint for a collector such as yourself, and will certainly take your concerns into consideration in our publications decisions moving forward. We take great pride in the production of Orioles Magazine, and hope that at the very least you found the content in the digital magazine enjoyable.

Thank you once again for sharing your concerns and for your many years of loyal support.

Best,

Orioles Publication Team
Not sure things will improve, but that's a thoughtful response.