View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 AM
J0hn Collin$

Vintage cards from all eras can measure slightly different, in my experience. This can be seen if you try to use One Touch mag cases or Pro-Mold magnetics or one-screw cases. Even from the same sets, some cards will slide slightly from side-to-side or up and down in the cases, and some will not. Since the molds for each of these cases are exactly the same, I think this is indicative of the cards being slightly different in terms of cut, or thickness that may have changed over the years. Recall that many higher-priced vintage cards in the 1980's and 90's lived in pressed-down 4 screw cases for a long time. PSA and other graders will reject some of those cards, but that doesn't mean that plenty with still reduced thickness don't make it into numbered slabs on a regular basis.

As far as measuring individual cards, if I'm trying simply to discern whether or not a card has been trimmed, it's easiest for me to meaure using another card from the same set or even the same size just from the same era. (Talking mostly 3.5 by 2.5 cards...) Most cards with an amateur trim job will stick out like a sore thumb when measured this way. What can be difficult is early 1970's cards that were routinely printed either with tilt or a diamond-cut. Some of these were not trimmed at all, but appear that way upon first glance before you do careful measuring.