View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 02:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Frank, I appreciate that but those checks are NOTORIOUS and have been making the rounds for 20 years I thought most collectors knew but someone must have not read their daily "memo" the REALLY memorable ones are the FULL checks supposedly written and signed on the front. Since I have no dog in the fight to better illustrate my point with regards to either check I tried to use point-by-point factors which have fallen on deaf ears. I could have and WISH I would have just said I would NOT sell one I would NOT buy one and if BOTH were offered to me for free I would decline. The problem is a FREE opinion has no value because it's free no matter how you state your case. So Ultimately its "Not how good a deal you got but how good a deal you THINK you got"
Some free opinions are more valuable than others....

The opinion of someone expert who has handled multiple examples of these in person as Jim has must rate very highly.

TL/DR for the following - Jim is right, and these are probably nowhere near as convincing in person as they are in scans.
---------------------------------
The thing with less ink at the intersections... yeah, that's not normal for fountain pen.

It made me go back and look at the random person checks from a couple years later, same bank. But this time not just looking at the backstamp, but the entire item in comparison. And there are some pretty big differences!

one is that the real checks have a picture in the center, that didn't copy as well as the horizontal background lines. It doesn't copy well in a scan either apparently, but that's the entire point of security printing, that it's hard to copy.
Found a closed auction for a couple blank checks from the right time period.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12427588480...p2047675.l2557

That's what they should look like.. better color, etc.