View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Bruce C@rter

I have reading through these post and wanted to clear up some things about athletes using banned drugs in the past. First off, I was an Collegiate shot putter in the late 70's and early 80's. So I know something about steroid use back long ago. The drugs that are banned now where not banned back then. You could even get them over the counter. In matter of fact there where no bans on anything in MLB until 1991. WADA over sees what is banned. In the early 90's and even up to 2001 the list of banned substances was held primarily to only the anabolic steroids. Many things banned now where legal back then. Since then the list has grown to the point of being ridicules. Let me give you some examples. My son has been on the national scene in track for several years and has mild asthma. To be able to use an Abuteral inhaler he had to under go about $2000 worth of test AFTER being off all other asthma medications for 2 months so the test would show he had breathing problems. We had to submit a T.U.E. to WADA and waited 6 mo. to the the approval. God forbid you get a head cold. Nothing you can take over the counter is legal either. I don't see condemning people for doing something that was ok to do at the time.

I cant say a lot about the Clemens situation. I dont know all the facts. I don't know if he was doing banned drugs or if he lied about it. If he did then he should be punished for it.