View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Todd Schultz

Default 1966 Topps condition question

I have about 75% of this set in sleeves and then rigid holders, where they have resided for 15-20 years, in what appears to be nm or better condition save for some that are off-centered. I took them out to put in 8-pocket sheets today and noticed that about 40% of them have slight notching or crimping on the top or bottom of the horizontal cards. These are seldom in the exact same place, and are real hard to see unless you hold them at an angle to the light--which means they are likely unseen in most scans. I do not believe I came upon these all at once but I just don't remember. Maybe the prior owner mishandled them somehow, but the remaining condition (sharp corners) makes me skeptical of that. Anyway, I assume they would grade out at 5 or less because of the flaws, and although I am not a huge graded card fan, this bums me out.

Was there something in packaging or production that made this a common occurrence? I hesitate to complete the set or replace what I have with any non-graded cards at this point if they are going to arrive with these issues.
Anyone collect this set and have insights?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.