View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Probstein 123

My full name is Cliff Cantrell, added because I am submitting an opinion of the subject individual

About 4 years ago I decided to trim down my collection and redefine my focus. I tried selling a few things on ebay but it took too much time and effort so I approached Probstein in email and on the phone. He asked what I had, I told him and he said "bundle it all up with an inventory letter and ship to him and he'd do the rest". I took his advice and sent a good size box of some premium stuff and some filler stuff. He quickly listed and sold the premium stuff and was quick to send a check with a listing of what everything sold for and the fees involved with each item. I was happy with the outcome. The filler stuff sat there for about 3 months. I was in constant contact with him and for a while he was sick, then it was the holidays and then he didn't think it was a good time to sell that stuff. All told the filler stuff was probably only work maybe 2,000 and didn't really seem to be worth his time. I finally told him to ship it back, which he did (well packaged) along with an invoice for the shipping cost (a reasonable request). I got it back, paid the shipping and ended up piecing out the filler on ebay and made a few hundred more than I thought I would have.

Over time, after this experience, I have bid unsuccessfully on his non-sports card auctions and successfully on some of the older stuff and have been happy with what I got and happy with the price I paid.

Given the new claims of altered cards, and my inability to readily identify something that is altered I have quit doing business with him. In the future I might offer him more of the better stuff if I decide to change directions again or maybe will just go with one of the auction houses.

He was always cordial and friendly both in email and on the phone so I harbor no grudge or ill will towards him. I just believe he doesn't have the time to pour over every card that comes in and gets photoed and minimally described but that is his business plan and it seems to work for him.

Last edited by n5gwu; 01-02-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: to add my full name to the post