View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 04:53 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Worch Cigar sets information sought

hi all,

Many of you may remember that I've been gathering information pretty intensively on these sets for several years. Lyman Hardeman recently convinced me, as only Lyman can do, that it was time to do an article for Old Cardboard

While I have gathered a lot of good info myself, I'm sure the article will be better if we do some crowdsourcing and collaborating. So I'm writing to invite you to post (or send along by email, as you prefer) anything you think is of interest - about the cards, the company, the method of distribution, accessory materials (like envelopes), etc. My email is apspr@att.net

I am particularly interested in getting the Worch checklists as complete as possible. With that mind, if you want to contribute, please check out my compilation of scans at

https://imageevent.com/apspr/basebal...worchcigarsets

Three groupings, one for each set, should be accessible to you through the link. If not, please let me know.

As you'll see, I have compiled scans of every Worch player and variation that I've found. So far I have about 113 scans of the 1933-35 American Association set and about 142 of the 1933-34 Major Leaguers (plus the 24 Minneapolis players from 1932).

These groupings of scans include a bunch of variations and a few players that were not checklisted previously. But there are also players on previous checklists that I haven't confirmed and don't have scans of. If you'd like to help, you could check your Worches against the Imageevent collections and send me scans of any that aren't included. Look especially for the way the "nameplates" are placed in the photos, as many many variations were generated in that area.

There is one extensive long-lived thread on Worches that goes back to 2013! You might want to look through this thread before you post, as it contains a lot of good info.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ht=worch+cigar

I'll be in touch again later with specific questions for you. For now, please post anything you'd like to about the set in this thread.

Happy collecting,
Tim Newcomb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornsby.jpg (74.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg dean.jpg (76.0 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by timn1; 09-05-2021 at 04:54 PM.