View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMechanick View Post
I agree with the point Brent made:
Excerpt:
Many memorabilia item values are cyclical, with some areas burgeoning (as Scott mentioned with ticket collecting), while others are extremely lagging (19th century items such as Heubach figurines, figural napkin rings, ceramic mugs/plates, etc have monotone values and have not risen over time).

This is the point I previously made. These are exactly the kind of items I was referring to, and including, i.e. sheet music; cigar labels, boxes and artwork; (not all, but many) pinbacks, etc.

Please show me where these items have gone up over the last 20 years.... monotone values is probably being conservative, as most of these items have gone down in prices realized, and in some cases significantly down...

The point made by others applies here... Memorabilia is a general term, which must be narrowed and more specified in comparing to card values... yes, in comparing a positive trend on items as game used items, autographs, tickets, etc. No, in comparing any sort of positive trend on certain areas of display memorabilia, i.e. 19th century & turn-century material.

I'm really not that upset; I'm just pointing out the reality, as this monotone or perhaps negative valuation trend on 19th century display material has provided me and others who appreciate this kind of stuff with a great buying opportunity.

With note to above, one may come back with 19th century "card" material "in general" (except for the best of the best) has not kept up with "cards" as a general population. This is true, but I believe this memorabilia area on items as discussed above have fared even worst.

To all, please stay safe and well.

Best,
Glenn Mechanick
Well said Glenn

This has allowed me as well to buy items that I couldn't afford previously.
And yes some areas of collecting are now getting their due like others have mentioned... but it's just that... they're NOW getting their due. I don't think literally any of these areas of memorabilia have kept pace with cards over time as the OP asked.